Trip Report: Buhler Challenger and Science Center
Mr. Wells submitted this trip report on the Scouts' weekend outing to the Buhler Challenger and Science Center:
Our Scouts went to the Buehler Challenger and Science Center in Paramus NJ for a sleep-in, and learned all about space exploration.
This center was created as a living memorial to those astronauts, who lost their lives in the Challenger shuttle explosion in 1986.
After we arrived and had a pizza dinner, the boys participated in several space science activities, "mission" training, and viewed a space science movie.
After a "restful" sleep-in, the Scouts were awakened to the sound track from 2001 Space Odyssey and enjoyed a pre-launch breakfast.
Scouts were then split into two groups and participated in a shuttle mission to rendezvous with Halley's comet. One group was mission control, while the other group was "transported" to the space station by way of the space shuttle, to carry out experiments preparing to intercept the comet. Halfway through the mission the two groups of boys switched jobs and completed a successful "mission."
The Scouts all had a great time and learned about following procedures and dealing with unexpected issues that may arise at any moment, and how to deal with them as a team to correct the problem.
- '15 Ways to Fix Everything With Duct Tape'
- Welcome to Washington Crossing Council
- Boys Life video shows how to use a map and compass
- 'Be the Church Day' painting project at Union Township Municipal Building
- Register for Summer Camp Merit Badges online
- New Jersey Scouts help rescue NBC journalist Ann Curry
- Trip Report: Buhler Challenger and Science Center
- Announcement from Central New Jersey Council
- Mike Rowe talks Scouting
- New details on the rollout of using One Oath and Law in all programs
- Follow the Summer Camp action with Troop 200 on our special Summer Camp Update page
- Troop 200 spirit heats up a frigid Klondike Derby
- BSA Chief visits Newtown, presents Spirit of the Eagle Award to Tiger Cubs' parents
- Trip Report: Soaring Eagles Patrol Camping Trip to High Point State Park
- Troop Scouts visit historic Trenton, talk Scouting to locals