November 26, 2013
Dear Scouting Family,
As good stewards of Scouting, we must do what allows us to most efficiently accomplish Scouting's mission for the young people throughout central New Jersey. Despite commendable efforts and while individual packs, troops, crews, and posts have remained active, this council has not been performing well financially for at least a decade.
With that in mind, last week the Central New Jersey Council Executive Board voted that it would be in the best interest of the youth we serve to transfer existing packs, troops, crews, and posts to neighboring councils that are more financially solvent, followed by the eventual dissolution of the council. This decision was made by the Central New Jersey Council volunteer leaders and is supported by the BSA national office. A final plan to transfer units based on geography will be presented to the board on December 19, 2013 with a goal of completing all transfers by December 31, 2013.
While our council will no longer administer the program, we want to make it clear that Scouting will remain in the communities we serve. In fact, we want to make it even stronger. It is also important to note that the Scouting experience is not going to change; as a group we will work to ensure a seamless transition for our Scouts, leaders, and local volunteers. The result will be enhanced opportunities for our Scouts, more resources to recruit and support additional youth members and adult leaders, and far more opportunity to be innovative in making Scouting strong.
In the coming days and weeks, we will keep you posted on details of the transition. In the meantime, council staff is available to answer any questions you may have. If you have any questions, please contact Ian Lilien at (732) 823-1395 x18 or Ian.Lilien@scouting.org.
Finally, we would like to recognize all of the parents, leaders, volunteers, professional staff, and Scouts who have helped the council serve its mission for 14 years. People like you make it possible for the Boy Scouts of America to make a positive difference on the lives of millions of young people and we hope you'll support the new councils in the same manner. Thank you.
Yours in Scouting,
Terrance J. McCarty
Central New Jersey Council
- '15 Ways to Fix Everything With Duct Tape'
- Welcome to Washington Crossing Council
- Boys Life video shows how to use a map and compass
- 'Be the Church Day' painting project at Union Township Municipal Building
- Register for Summer Camp Merit Badges online
- New Jersey Scouts help rescue NBC journalist Ann Curry
- Trip Report: Buhler Challenger and Science Center
- Announcement from Central New Jersey Council
- Mike Rowe talks Scouting
- New details on the rollout of using One Oath and Law in all programs
- Follow the Summer Camp action with Troop 200 on our special Summer Camp Update page
- Troop 200 spirit heats up a frigid Klondike Derby
- BSA Chief visits Newtown, presents Spirit of the Eagle Award to Tiger Cubs' parents
- Trip Report: Soaring Eagles Patrol Camping Trip to High Point State Park
- Troop Scouts visit historic Trenton, talk Scouting to locals